“An astounding entertainment experience, a dazzling trip to the planets and beyond the stars!" - The Oregonian, June 1968
Earlier this year, director Christopher Nolan supervised the release of a special “unrestored” 70mm print of 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, created from preserved original negatives. Nolan’s goal was to give audiences an opportunity to experience 2001 exactly as Stanley Kubrick intended, with the immersive scale, depth of field, and sound quality that only 70mm film can offer. We proudly screened this new print for you over the summer and were blown away by its color, crispness, and sound.
We now have the opportunity to acquire our own brand-new 70mm print of Nolan's unrestored version of 2001. New 70mm prints are rarely struck, and are easily damaged by poorly trained projectionists or defective equipment. If we acquire this print, we'll be able to share Kubrick's masterpiece with our community for years to come - and we'll ensure that it's cared for according to the Hollywood's rigorous standards.
UPDATE: Thanks to the incredibly generous support of our community, we surpassed our initial $25,000 goal in record time - but there's still more to do. We're closing the gap on our stretch goal of $40,000* to not only bring 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY in 70mm home to the Hollywood, but also add 35mm changeover projection to one of our upstairs auditoriums. We need just $5,000 more to fully fund this new 35mm projection technology, increasing the number of pure film experiences we're able to offer to you and our entire Portland community.
Make a gift today, and help us reach our $40,000 stretch goal. The Hollywood will become the first and only theatre in the country to strike its own private print of this exquisite version of 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY in 70mm. And to sweeten the deal, when you give $50 or more, we’ve got some great rewards to express our thanks:
- Gift of $50 or more - One limited-edition commemorative 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY pint glass, featuring Hollywood/monolith design, plus a ticket to a future 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY screening of your choice (premieres tentatively scheduled for Spring/Summer 2019)
- Gift of $100 or more - Two limited-edition commemorative pint glasses PLUS OnScreen recognition and two tickets to a future 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY screening of your choice (premieres tentatively scheduled for Spring/Summer 2019)
- Gift of $250 or more - All of the above PLUS reserved seating for two at your selected 2001 screening
- Gift of $500 or more - All of the above PLUS a private screening at our new Community Screening Room slated to open at Movie Madness in Spring 2019 (seats approximately 20 people). You get to choose your film from the 80,000+ titles in the Movie Madness collection. Date/time restrictions may apply.
- Gift of $2,500 or more - Two limited-edition commemorative pint glasses, OnScreen recognition PLUS a private screening of 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY in 70mm for you and up to 380 of your closest friends with FREE POPCORN! (Act quickly! This reward level is limited to 5 private screenings total.) Private screening must be scheduled as a weekday matinee, prior to regular business hours of the Hollywood Theatre.
Thank you for helping us add this masterpiece to our film collection. Click here to give!
*Note: We set our initial goal at $25,000, with an additional $10,000 stretch goal for 35mm changeover projection ($35,000 total). New estimates during the course of this project increased our fundraising need to $40,000 total. Thank you for your generosity and for making this project possible.